Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sources of fear

When I was 5 years old, I apparently demanded to see Jaws. Yes, that Jaws, big shark, eating people, heads washing up on shore, scaring everyone. Well, my parents obliged. I wish they hadn't and seeing that now as a parent, I am a little mad about it. I am now to this day terrified of the ocean. In fact, I am not even crazy about the pool for fear of being eaten by a shark IN THE BEXLEY POOL.

Last night, Steve and I went to see the new Batman movie at 9:30 p.m. There were small children in the theater. I would say ranging in age from 3-8. WTF, people?? This movie is DARK, even says so in the title. The characters are scary, or at least intense, hell, one of them has half of his face burned off and you see it! The Joker is scary in his random affection for violence and there is even (SPOILER ALERT) some implied impending violence against children. OMG!!! This is not the place to take your small child. I was sad for the kids because they deserve parents who give a shit, I was angry at the parents for being so selfish as to bring small kids to an obviously intense (and really, really good) movie and appalled that theaters don't seem to mind. When we were leaving there were a few of the kids who were crying, a few sleeping and a few who were clearly shell shocked by what they had seen.

When Owen is 5 and demands to see some movie like Jaws, I will explain to him that he is too young to develop life-long irrational fears, and I will tell him the story of Jaws and The Dark Knight.

No comments: