Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Finally, it is all sinking in

I realized after yet another tearful day yesterday, that the problem is me. It's not that I am bad at this role, it is just that I am utterly clueless and did not read the job description. See, I have been trying to raise an adult, I am not, I am raising a child. Children and self-centered and want what they want when they want it. Guess what, me too!

For the first time in the last four months, I stopped what I was doing to meet his needs. Today, I put everything on hold and printed 1,000 princess coloring pages with him from the computer. Then I read stories to him until lunch. Steve came downstairs to have lunch with us and I walked into the kitchen to find the breakfast mess. This is SO VERY UNUSUAL.

You know what else is unusual, not having a single melt down all morning. AND, having lots of laughs, smiles and learning. He was learning to move the mouse on the computer today so we could print those princesses. And all I had to do was WAIT to clean up after breakfast. Did this make me a little crazy, yes, did it make me crazier than our normal mornings of arguments, negotiation and tantrums, HELLS NO! I know I am being thick here, but I guess I didn't realize that I was making all the problems...DORK!

Also, every morning when I get up I read the 10 commandments for a parent, very poignant.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Good for you! I don't even have children and I let breakfast dishes wait till later in the day or week.

I guess I have one lesson learned already! HA!